[国际新闻] April 16th: Virginia Tech Remembers维吉尼亚理工大学校园枪击惨案编缉成书

Students Write First Book on Massacre
( J' `5 h2 C" y' t
( F! C, [9 X" z+ ^& T+ ?+ nABC News3 A) V; t; z: ]
Posted: 2007-07-21 09:09:578 K6 U% \8 Z9 Z& c# }( A: j- M. [

; ^: c$ R6 m5 H* T1 p( [0 j% N(July 20) - If journalism is the first draft of history, the student journalists of Virginia Tech are about to make their contribution with a book about the campus tragedy that left 33 people dead, including shooter Seung-Hui Cho.
( }9 y" r5 R/ V; x( A1 B  A8 w2 E; m2 H- @
"April 16th: Virginia Tech Remembers" is the first major book on the shooting and combines tributes to the students and faculty victims with a collection of firsthand testimonials from those who lived through the morning of the massacre.rs238848.rs.hosteurope.de+ K9 z! ~7 v# o1 p
9 n& N* c6 T1 R2 z3 \
"All of a sudden a door just opened real fast, a guy came in with a gun … he was very, very deliberate. He didn't say anything. Just came in and started firing," described student Garrett Evans, who was in German class when Cho began his rampage.# P- _) W. F. S2 ]+ d" W& D/ T9 K( {
8 n- `$ d' |1 a6 K0 [# F! r3 o! ]
"I felt God move me away so he didn't shoot me in my head," said Evans, who was shot in both legs.
; }- Y- L' m9 F5 M& C, B. [rs238848.rs.hosteurope.de: ^0 N& E. ^" R) y) d# Z
The shooter attacked four classrooms on the second floor of Norris Hall, killing 30 people and wounding 25. Earlier that morning he had killed two students in West Ambler Johnston dormitory, according to police.% r2 z1 j0 X9 J9 e
) K8 Y, T9 _# I$ j/ m, U  ~/ c% }
ABC News got an exclusive look at the book, which hasn't yet been released. The book is an oral history, edited by Roland Lazenby and the student staff of Planet Blacksburg, a news Web site serving the Virginia Tech community. During the hours that followed the shooting, the site received global attention for its breaking-news coverage.
1 k/ R8 ~$ ?/ W) u" w
+ S3 B7 P- [* }8 brs238848.rs.hosteurope.deMoments of Heroism Amid Chaos: h/ @, e! J. S3 t' t

) X7 Y( j" a# A1 {; Z8 o1 V5 lThe book records the fear and horror of those who lived through the attack. Erin Sheehan, a student who lay among the wounded students in an attempt to play dead, told reporters, "I saw bullets hit people's bodies. There was blood everywhere."4 Q& h+ Q8 g* R8 [) t
  S+ D% s  k& [) T. R
The book's firsthand accounts include the now well-known acts of heroism in the midst of chaos, like when Theresa Walsh and her classmates in Room 205 saved themselves by barricading the door, preventing Cho from entering the class.
7 S4 Z* h! X" h; o/ D" @
" a8 E: C9 S+ M% K1 b" v"He tried getting into the door and he nudged it with his shoulder, but … everyone was on their stomachs holding the legs of the table, pushing it up against the door," Walsh recalled.
9 ?! h$ K% H9 F5 [人在德国 社区1 P1 s% A+ v  B, v% A* t+ \
"You could feel the bullets … you could feel … the vibrations of each gunshot. He shot, bam, bam, bam, bam, and he didn't stop until his clip was empty and you heard the clip hit the ground right outside our door. He reloaded and started again."人在德国 社区2 O" O0 t/ D6 F3 X

) y3 [& p& E$ h+ x# T5 vWalsh quickly called 911.
, T, C9 |* E# x. ^+ `1 k# Mrs238848.rs.hosteurope.de3 c2 u- G  v4 O1 ^' A# f/ _
"'They asked, 'What building are you on?' and I was like, 'We're in Norris. Why aren't you guys here?'" she remembered.
' Q/ T' o! y# a. E0 b2 g0 E5 g
2 ^, h8 I; N) ^& a; gSurvivors also described how engineering professor Liviu Librescu protected his students at the cost of his own life.rs238848.rs.hosteurope.de; {  v0 d) D6 p9 J( h" Q6 o

% J8 N2 _. ?8 n6 i( j"I looked across the hall at Dr. Librescu's class, and I look at him and he was in the doorway. All of his students were behind him, he was like holding them inside the classroom," Walsh said.人在德国 社区0 r/ E# |, N+ r7 {  E3 }+ q6 }6 M
& h4 M2 o( n6 @* \% }6 H
"He used his hands to tell us to get back," said Andrey Andreyev, a student in Librescu's classroom. "He stood at the door and wouldn't move. He pushed me toward the back of the room, a corner. He himself would not move. He just stood there."
6 l  R0 \! X: brs238848.rs.hosteurope.de  p$ E0 ~  r" K& s) m2 t
"I really don't think me or my other classmates would be here if it wasn't for him," student Caroline Merrey said to reporters.8 x. T3 `% @6 {1 M1 E1 n

4 x$ c0 V1 Q( a2 ~" JOutside the classrooms, students were living through a powerful shock and grief at news of the tragedy, along with a frustration with the frenzy that quickly overtook their campus. In the book students take jabs at pushy reporters who overwhelmed the Inn at Virginia Tech, where the victims' families had gathered.
) m) D; T! l. Rrs238848.rs.hosteurope.de) c9 M- Z' h& d7 |
"The media were vultures that day," wrote student and Planet Blacksburg news editor Courtney Thomas.4 d, n0 \/ s( [9 U: z: ~1 e

5 Q% g0 H8 H% B8 r. v  e人在德国 社区"No, I'm sorry, none of my friends were shot. Thanks for asking. Well, do you know anyone who knows someone who was shot or who can't find their friends? No. Thanks again for your concern, but I don't know anyone who's willing to cry for your camera."$ X) h! g4 c% S# r5 o% B

" d: k' U: V& Y1 B+ yPortrait of a Killer
% i8 ^% N4 K) h& N" T
- H; m5 T( O- Y  ~, EFrom the observations of those who knew him, shooter Seung-Hui Cho is described in the book as notable only for his odd, reclusive character.* U5 u4 c# P: }+ l6 s
人在德国 社区( `3 k6 L0 q, Z% W: m' A; t
"No one really knew him; he was a bona fide social pariah," said Rosanna Brown, a fellow resident of Harper Hall, the dorm where Cho lived.
7 p* D) C1 _7 _% _# h1 ]; E3 u0 }rs238848.rs.hosteurope.de
" z& r$ g0 o6 c/ W9 Rrs238848.rs.hosteurope.deThat portrait of Cho's blank expression — a "flat affect," in the words of his psychiatric screener —- was reflected in the creepy, calm demeanor described by those who lived through the shooting.
. N" z$ _/ v$ ]: P, S! f人在德国 社区- o3 _2 Q  w' f# `( s0 l4 V9 `
"My eyes were immediately drawn to his face," said Sam Riley, a communications professor who saw Cho at the downtown Blacksburg Post Office. Cho mailed a multimedia testimonial from that post office just after the first shootings and before the attack on Norris Hall., f* t  v+ ?6 `/ a
, ^- ~0 _) }6 U- ?1 O) U: ~
"I nodded and spoke to him as we passed; he gaped at me silently in return," Riley added. "I remember saying to myself as I went up the post office steps … 'Great Lord! That's the most deranged-looking individual I've seen in a long time.'"
5 M# G( U& v+ d3 i* b7 ?0 }人在德国 社区: v: q+ e6 |9 v
Wounded victim Derek O'Dell remembered Cho's expression as he walked into German class.人在德国 社区3 M( O6 z0 x& a" T% e0 I

' Y9 `1 D" P3 W/ A# i"I saw into his eyes, his face darkened by the shadow from his maroon cap. They seemed completely black and there appeared to be an emptiness behind them."
1 |5 o8 U6 w& a3 F$ w# w' d! {
- Z$ n0 b! [& v/ x- u"Sometimes you can look into a person's eyes and see their life story and the hardships they'we encountered. With him there was nothing," O'Dell added.
" F2 M+ b) G! r, Z2 _+ ~7 i' G, H1 p/ {
Walsh, the student who helped barricade her classroom door, recounted that "he walked … almost like in a trance, like as it he had no cares in the world. He was just doing what he was doing."
4 D3 @6 O/ a6 M- H  J7 h) }
1 o0 b. T7 s2 n0 x0 K" uRemembering the Victims1 G. R* q+ p7 I- w7 v+ w

$ y3 O/ ]# [1 o. P) k+ |The book concludes after 115 pages of tribute to the 32 victims, a compilation of biographies and anecdotes from those close to each of the slain. For students on a campus suddenly paralyzed with grief, mourning meant coming away with lessons that were clearly and deeply personal.( z, R% F/ S2 V9 e4 f3 h
rs238848.rs.hosteurope.de0 Y+ a( i$ p- M; y0 f0 u8 ?7 w
"You think, what is there left for me to accomplish? What was left for beautiful Caitlin [Hammaren], freshman Austin [Cloyd]? What was left for Ms. Couture to do with her daughter and husband?" wrote student Melissa Croushorn.
+ |8 s) T- w; Y
0 G* c/ {& I* `! j$ `5 W: D0 C  M"You feel responsible to make your life meaningful and purposeful enough on behalf of the people whose lives are done."人在德国 社区+ X/ C, e; v: p4 |% w/ T
人在德国 社区9 q, C* p$ B/ s: j- |2 h! x( o
rs238848.rs.hosteurope.de( b8 w! t2 O8 x
Campus Tragedy人在德国 社区( Q2 V, \1 m2 \- ]; t

+ d: y. P1 |2 BMatt Gentry, The Roanoke Times
7 F0 Y7 a5 n. J1 w- b3 v& \' ?! A$ X. V2 b, X7 {3 y+ W" G
Police officers run from Norris Hall during the Virginia Tech campus tragedy in Blacksburg, Va., on April 16. Student journalists are writing a book, 'April 16th: Virginia Tech Remembers' about the shooting that left 33 people dead.人在德国 社区  P! X8 S: q, {$ [6 B
4 v/ r% w/ v3 b6 [

, a' n  p2 r* C, ^: u目击屠杀生还者第一手证词汇编 恐布场景、感人事迹重现人在德国 社区/ T; Z% ?1 F* n. L
. {) b9 o* a' \7 d

5 `1 W' F% K4 H! G7 M& Z7 xABC新闻网站20日报导,维吉尼亚理工大学的学生记者,对4月16日该校发生的校园枪击惨案,编缉成新书「4月16日:维州理工大学追忆」(April 16th: Virginia Tech Remembers),这个由韩裔学生赵承熙造成的血案,导致包括他自己在内的33人死亡。- E1 k) L4 Q6 B. H2 R+ D
& R6 |5 G- ~; G
这是第一本报导此枪击案和纪念死去师生的重要书籍,也是当天上午屠杀行动的生还者第一手证词的汇编。赵承熙当天在诺瑞斯工程教学大楼的四个教室,杀死了30人,并打伤25人,他稍早在西安伯勒·强斯顿宿舍大楼杀死另外两名学生。. I5 k9 ?: @0 D3 L- e+ U5 K- o* K

& m7 L: _- s& ^; I5 GABC新闻部独家获得这本尚未出版的书籍,这本书是口述历史,由拉赞比(Roland Lazenby)和该校新闻网站Planet Blacksburg的学生职员编辑。
/ H$ q: O: }1 p: srs238848.rs.hosteurope.de/ j* N" ?6 r* `+ s1 o
这本书记录了那些经历这项攻击者的恐惧经历,例如艾琳·席汉躺在受伤的学生中企图装死,她说:「我看见子弹击中人们的身体,到处都是血。」% H) t. S* Y. r' K1 _+ t

! d( [% I* C8 D! M书中第一手的叙述也包括现在已广为人知的英勇事迹,如泰莉莎·华尔许和在205教室上课的同学,用力挡住门,阻止赵承熙进入,因而获救,她回忆说:「他试图用肩膀撞门进来,但大家拼命用桌子挡住门,他对门不停开枪射击,一直到子弹打完,可以听到子弹夹掉在我们门边的地上,他装了子弹后再射击。」
9 m# X, _. R) e2 ]: C5 P
2 Z9 ?7 G* ]8 y* T4 E9 c; L' T华尔许并打911求救。生还者也描述了工程教授李布瑞斯库(Liviu Librescu)一个人挡住门,让学生跳窗逃生,自己最后中弹牺牲的感人行动。
& d) }4 n8 ~2 a* D+ e. T$ w2 Srs238848.rs.hosteurope.de# T! T# x( o: v& \, z
在教室外的学生谈到他们感到惊吓和悲伤,并对采访记者穷追不舍询问感到不悦,有人说,当天媒体有如秃鹰。
& \2 g- g- L" m# B, h! A: q. Prs238848.rs.hosteurope.de
+ @2 `# t" ^7 e2 A( O: g" m* l8 l8 [书中对赵承熙的描绘只是有关他的怪异和孤僻的性格,这是根据一些认识他的学生的观察。与他同住在哈泼宿舍大楼的罗珊娜·布朗说:「没有人真正认识他,他实际有如一个被社会遗弃的人。」, x5 r, {" E% t8 T
: n1 y6 z: F9 N* I+ T1 M( s2 C; G
目击他行凶的人谈到他面无表情,有一种可怕的镇静面容。赵承熙在第一次行凶后,到市中心的黑堡邮局寄出他的声明录像带,传播教授雷利看见他,与他打招呼,「他不作声地盯著我看,那是我看过的最狂乱的眼神」。
) v0 \6 p( T% U7 c8 P) O8 f, {* W0 E
这本115页的书也有对32位死者的纪念,包括他们的生平和轶事。
2 O7 N0 `1 {5 s; e7 C1 |! N

/ ^9 H8 @6 g7 [$ B人在德国 社区
& F! t6 k% u& k7 \
. ?- O; f4 @/ u; n1 G. Q& {人在德国 社区2007-07-21( e1 _" h1 o/ Z! o7 t$ n

# I3 c$ ^# _2 Q2 z! ^4 K! B5 d[ 本帖最后由 日月光 于 2007-7-22 11:54 编辑 ]