[中国新闻] 中美商建军事热线 以增加沟通消除误解

正在中国访问的美军参谋长联席会议主席彼得·佩斯23日在北京举行的新闻发布会上表示,他与中国军方领导商谈了建立美中军事热线一事。“希望通过军事热线,增加双方沟通的机会,减少误判,消除误解。”
( s, C6 }) a; ^2 x9 ~rs238848.rs.hosteurope.de/ U. Z/ l2 i+ y
  佩斯是应中央军委委员、中国人民解放军总参谋长梁光烈的邀请,于22日开始对中国为期4天的正式访问。中央军委副主席郭伯雄,中央军委副主席、国务委员兼国防部长曹刚川22日分别会见了佩斯。梁光烈与佩斯举行了会谈。
) h1 w) R8 I$ G8 I/ R9 c9 `人在德国 社区人在德国 社区; N! [5 o7 h# y* o; F! I) G0 y
  佩斯说,他们讨论了通过其他途径增进两军间的信任,比如,互相观摩军事演习,共同参加人道主义救援,增加军官交流等。/ z0 v& @8 G3 X' d- q& Y- D! X
rs238848.rs.hosteurope.de/ U8 g& o7 P* x1 q
  佩斯一行是今年访华的第一个美国高级军事代表团,也是佩斯2005年就任美军参联会主席以来首次访华。

2 X5 ^, l' D  c" `5 O8 Drs238848.rs.hosteurope.de) o* J8 A( r7 x9 t8 k/ Y/ K
U.S. general says Beijing 'hotline' possiblers238848.rs.hosteurope.de, ]" }; `; q- [* O7 _1 I

9 g) P. e$ c1 d9 u6 t, {4 k; uBEIJING — China's military is proposing officer exchanges and other confidence-building measures with the U.S. Army and may be inching closer to setting up a “hotline” for emergency communication with Washington, the top U.S. general said Friday." f& A1 t& b, s, f7 h6 _. h: V

2 x( g3 Z  q: F- T" g5 ?  ]! ~However, Marine Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said he received no new information in meetings with Chinese military chiefs about Beijing's test of an anti-satellite weapon in January that raised concern in Washington. He said he continued to press China's generals for more transparency about the aims of their military buildup.
4 G! k2 Q5 t3 j+ J0 l  W& c人在德国 社区
& j( f/ @# V; ~8 }* D3 P* o“I used the example of the anti-satellite test as how sometimes the international community can be confused, because it was a surprise that China did that, and it wasn't clear what their intent was,” Gen. Pace said.& K/ ]4 R) B  u% a/ a- _

! b  X3 H% b/ ?' R7 p( l3 j' Irs238848.rs.hosteurope.deGen. Pace said he immediately agreed to study the proposals put forward Friday by Gen. Liang Guanglie, chief of the PLA's General Staff Department. Liang's move suggested a departure from the skepticism with which the highly secretive People's Liberation Army has long regarded co-operation with the U.S. military.
* i/ W. O7 `7 U
& ?9 c) E3 k# @+ l“To me this was a very good, open discussion and one that I found very encouraging,” Gen. Pace told reporters in Beijing.% f5 \1 [9 B4 n1 t! N
人在德国 社区  e, g4 O, X+ B6 ^' r& M
Gen. Liang's proposals included sending Chinese cadets to the Army academy at West Point as well as participating in joint exercises and humanitarian and relief-at-sea operations “that might be able to build trust and confidence amongst our forces.”
# @% D% q0 S6 s3 nrs238848.rs.hosteurope.de
  q. G' }& y: a& r4 qMilitary exchanges were largely suspended following a collision between a U.S. spy plane and a Chinese jet fighter over the South China Sea in 2001. The Chinese pilot was killed and the U.S. crew held captive after making an emergency landing at a Chinese air base.* [2 {/ n" z& G. u: f" U7 o# a- Q

7 s: I7 z; t2 p( Q2 u$ r人在德国 社区During that crisis, communication between the sides was spotty and at times non-existent, largely because Washington had no direct channel of communications with the Chinese leadership.3 H% t1 g5 ~. q
# f9 A3 F" w2 L  T$ T
Gen. Pace said the sides agreed to keep discussing setting up a “hotline” between either military or civilian leaders that would help ease any future friction.0 `: r) w! z( j" u/ p2 d
& {0 P; Q4 X! O8 M; s' D9 W% T
“The Chinese military understands as well as I do that the opportunity to pick up the phone and talk to somebody you know and smooth out misunderstandings quickly is a very important part of relations between two countries,” Gen. Pace said.# C* B1 W* i, e
' o$ L2 E1 w7 E6 g
Deep mistrust remains, however, particularly over Washington's close military ties with Japan and commitment to help ensure the defence of Taiwan, the self-governing island that China considers its own territory and which it has threatened to use force to recover.) j2 w0 c8 L9 C$ p3 M, Q, X6 ^+ p; m
" ~4 Q3 Y+ I: p0 f
China has complained about U.S. plans to sell a batch of more than 400 missiles to Taiwan, but Gen. Pace said he had no details and didn't indicate whether the deal was mentioned in discussions.
) ?0 }1 N' p; _. k+ |. Q; V
& I; U- L$ T! @Asked about the possibility of a conflict over Taiwan, he said: “I believe there are good faith efforts among all the leadership to prevent that.”6 p% L5 V8 P6 u# ]4 k5 S3 ~7 ^4 f

) L1 L7 L+ L3 Q% h9 D7 x  PThe general didn't say how the Chinese officers responded to his calls for more transparency. China raised its military budget by 17.8 per cent this year to about $45-billion (U.S.) -- the biggest jump since 1995. The Pentagon says actual Chinese defence spending could be twice as high.( q* i+ \* L5 C& {2 B: v  r4 C: B
rs238848.rs.hosteurope.de4 ]* l; ~; j, R
The spending boost and January's satellite test, in which China became only the third country to destroy an object in space by pulverizing one of its own unused satellites with a missile warhead, heightened the sense of unease in Washington over China's 2.3 million-member armed forces.
6 r: T$ N% u' p人在德国 社区" _% \. X' J  f. B# h2 I
rs238848.rs.hosteurope.de! f- |1 l/ M, u* E
) p, Y8 S9 D' H$ H
+ d6 R+ `/ _* [9 T6 f: w+ t
Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Marine Gen. Peter Pace inspects the guard of honor during a welcome ceremony at the Defence Ministry in Beijing March 22, 2007.

Pace.jpg (54.9 KB)

Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Marine Gen. Peter Pace

Pace.jpg

Share |