[经济金融] G8峰会分歧或将唱主调

八国集团(Group of Eight)领导人本周将举行峰会,希望能以德国解决全球变暖问题的建议为蓝本达成一项历史性协议。然而此次峰会留在人们印象中的却可能是成员国领导人在一些问题上的意见分歧。比如,美国总统布什(George Bush)在防务问题上与俄罗斯总统普京(Vladimir Putin)有不同看法,同时,他在全球变暖问题上与欧洲国家领导人也意见不一。
: I0 u+ P; {% x' Brs238848.rs.hosteurope.de
  t$ G) c$ C, K
这些分歧突出表明,八国集团有时在解决复杂的经济问题方面已力不从心;人们从中也可看到,就像一些专家所说的那样,八国峰会已日渐沦为一个应对短期危机的场合和上演政治秀的舞台。0 [; @! A, z, F
* R3 {! _# s& e4 y0 y
布什周二的一个演讲将为这次峰会平添更多戏剧效果,他在演讲中将对全球自由面临的新威胁发出警告,这些威胁来自伊斯兰激进主义和独裁压迫。布什将在布拉格的一个关于民主和安全的大会上发表这一演讲,这个城市到处都可以见到会让人联想起前苏联时期霸权主义的遗迹,布什担心,这种东西目前在俄罗斯正在沉渣泛起。其他计划在大会上发言的人还包括前苏联持不同政见者纳坦•夏兰斯基(Natan SHARANSKY)以及捷克前总统哈维尔(Vaclav Havel)。哈维尔当年带领捷克脱离了前苏联阵营。
+ u+ D8 }8 c' E# x6 u" G8 M3 x; l
+ ~& z! n5 ~) r1 K人在德国 社区此事有可能使美俄两国间的摩擦进一步加剧,普京几天前刚刚威胁说,如果美国继续推进在捷克和波兰部署导弹防御系统的计划,俄罗斯的核导弹将再度瞄准欧洲。布什的讲话并不只针对东欧,美国政府一位高级官员说,布什在讲话中将探讨民主和自由如何才能取代压迫和激进主义,以及当今世界对民主和自由构成了怎样的威胁。
" A  G' R% h7 \6 C) S" O! r" W8 w人在德国 社区8 Q1 p' L2 D1 w. M
这些争执有可能进一步搅乱将于周二开始的八国峰会,会议将在德国海滨度假胜地海利根达姆举行。担任八国集团轮值主席的德国总理默克尔(Angela Merkel)原本希望此次峰会能为遏制温室气体排放量增长的新一轮国际努力奠定基础。但布什上周却打乱了默克尔的如意算盘,他建议今秋就实现气候变化目标重新启动一轮谈判,谈判将在全球污染物排放量最大的15个国家间进行。
* o1 g, h: ]* I. [6 N  a/ |( @4 z7 @. F
参与这一对话的预计将包括八国集团的现有成员国──美国、加拿大、法国、德国、意大利、日本、俄罗斯和英国,加上中国、印度和韩国这三个亚洲新兴国家以及澳大利亚、巴西、墨西哥以及南非。这些国家的领导人在应对全球变暖问题上很可能更倾向于支持布什政府更具弹性、更现实的做法,而不同意像默克尔和许多欧洲领导人建议的那样设定限制温室气体排放的具体目标。& R( r4 _& ^9 M

& ^) ]4 W& }7 @/ G4 A8 }rs238848.rs.hosteurope.de默克尔在周末期间承认,由于布什仍拒绝在二氧化碳减排方面作出具体的承诺,她针对气候变化的建议可能无法在八国峰会上得到采纳。默克尔对德国《明镜》周刊(Der Spiegel)说,如果美国不采取行动,其他国家可能也乐于采取等等看的态度。许多欧洲官员担心,布什提出的内容含糊的“反”建议有可能破坏欧盟旨在通过明确的减排承诺来制止气候变化的策略。人在德国 社区9 v9 W- V! \( V5 b8 Q
' o1 G+ j8 m% G* y
气候政策方面的分歧以及对美俄冲突以及伊朗核计划等安全危机的更多关注表明,在努力成为探讨长期、全球性经济政策问题的论坛方面,八国集团峰会并非一帆风顺。
' S- q; y( [8 Z: |# w2 Z* v- f' q7 ?2 u* V
美国外交协会(Council on Foreign Relations)高级研究员查尔斯•库普坎(Charles Kupchan)说,人们对这些长期性重大问题有许多轻松的探讨,但却没有多少行动,其结果是,八国集团峰会正在演变成大国的清谈俱乐部。
; g6 m6 u0 c* f3 e- g; C人在德国 社区
5 X. y2 h, Y2 Q4 ^4 G! `. C人在德国 社区曾在克林顿政府担任前苏联加盟共和国事务顾问的史蒂夫•塞斯塔诺维奇(Steve Sestanovich)认为1999年的那次八国集团峰会堪称成功的典范,那次会议成了世界主要大国贯彻联合国结束科索沃战争决议的动员会。他说,关键是当时有一个亟待解决的问题,而一旦要在发展的问题(目前似乎是气候变化问题)上充当文明世界的代言人,八国集团的运作效率就没那么高了。

' L# h0 h% |8 ]9 w- p人在德国 社区
4 x6 G# K2 I2 @# l- `4 |/ R. q4 m5 q4 ]; Q9 r. ?4 _5 r# {
Für eine Fußballmannschaft mit 8+1 zu wenig - der Klimakompromiss ist nach Meinung von Hans-Joachim Schellnhuber dennoch die Steilvorlage für das entscheidende Tor im Klimaschutz 4 d' {! i+ j$ C/ Z# G

' Y1 Y. B" N1 c) r  L. U- t; A
; T0 G3 F( i/ E( d+ [1 B6 d' |人在德国 社区! e& F* j  I  P; x! H
Rifts May Disrupt G-8 Agenda
2 q6 N& L0 j  @# \7 [: R8 l8 J% z& q
3 ], J4 B0 y8 j; N1 |: l* VLeaders of the Group of Eight leading nations gather this week for a summit aimed at producing a historic agreement on Germany''s vision for solving global warming. Instead, the meeting is likely to be marked by discord: between President Bush and Russian President Vladimir Putin over defense issues, and between Mr. Bush and Europe over global warming.
' [2 n' n/ v' C% q5 S' x) \3 b: `' l
The rifts underscore how the G-8 sometimes has come up short in addressing complex economic problems and how, some experts say, its meetings have increasingly become occasions for short-term crisis management and political theater. % Y, T9 }! K) ?; u0 c4 M
人在德国 社区3 o4 t7 T, e/ Y5 H5 ^) i$ I
Mr. Bush will add to the dramatics today with a speech that warns of new dangers to freedom around the world, both from Islamic radicalism and from authoritarian repression. Mr. Bush will make his remarks at a conference on democracy and security in Prague that is rife with reminders of the Soviet-era aggressiveness that Mr. Bush worries is on the rise again in Russia. Other scheduled speakers include former Soviet dissident Natan Sharansky and former Czech President Vaclav Havel, who led the Czech Republic''s emergence from the Soviet bloc.
6 a4 c) z! p" W( H8 K2 l; q1 d1 I& R2 ~
The event is likely to add to friction between the U.S. and Russia, just days after Mr. Putin threatened to reaim Russian nuclear missiles at European targets if the U.S. goes forward with a planned missile-defense shield in the Czech Republic and in Poland. While Mr. Bush''s remarks will look beyond Eastern Europe, he plans to discuss how democracy and freedom function 'as alternatives to repression and radicalism,' a senior administration official said, and 'how today''s world poses new threats to democracy and freedom.' # d: T, I- `. R

( p9 V9 Y( ?2 q' n/ LAll the bluster is threatening to further upset the G-8 meeting that begins tomorrow in the German seaside resort of Heiligendamm. German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who holds the group''s rotating presidency, had hoped to use the summit to lay the groundwork for new international curbs on emissions of the greenhouse gases that are thought to contribute to global warming. But Mr. Bush threw those plans into disarray last week, with his proposal for a new set of negotiations this fall on climate-change goals, to be held among the world''s 15 biggest polluters. rs238848.rs.hosteurope.de0 o' G$ R- s: x& G, I9 K0 K' ?

# e9 y5 ?& [* y) x7 ]7 DThat dialogue likely would include the current G-8 members -- the U.S., Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia and the United Kingdom -- as well as emerging Asian powers China, India and South Korea, in addition to Australia, Brazil, Mexico and South Africa. In many cases, leaders of those nations prefer the Bush administration''s looser, more pragmatic approach to global warming to the hard-and-fast limits favored by Ms. Merkel and many Europeans.
* s2 W) b/ t/ V9 C' ]) d: W9 P6 R
( |; ^& w0 E6 H+ qMs. Merkel acknowledged over the weekend that she probably won''t get the deal on climate change that she is seeking since Mr. Bush continues to resist specific commitments to cut carbon emissions. 'If the United States doesn''t move, others may also prefer to wait and see,' Ms. Merkel told German news magazine Der Spiegel. Most European officials worry that Mr. Bush''s counterproposal is vague and could undermine the European Union''s strategy for combating climate change through concrete commitments. ' `* b- A) J0 P' U- `# h
' y& j% W% ]5 r! _0 c/ y1 r7 R
The breakdown on climate policy and the growing focus on the U.S.-Russian conflict and related security crises, such as Iran''s nuclear program, reflect the difficulty the G-8 sometimes has had in living up to hopes it would become a forum for thrashing out long-term global economic-policy problems.
6 `) n) M' C# {( N" i" ars238848.rs.hosteurope.de4 Q$ n/ i3 X; A2 b" i/ R& a0 ^
'On these big long-term issues, there''s a lot of happy talk, but not much action,' said Charles Kupchan, a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations. As a result, he said, the summit''s 'utility is evolving away from scripted, preplanned communiques to more free-flowing discussions among the big players.' 1 G- m; K2 t# R
! Y. }! u) n' c# R3 G7 L
As an example of G-8 success, Steve Sestanovich, a Clinton administration adviser on the former Soviet states, points to 1999, when the G-8 became a forum for the major powers to assemble on a United Nations Security Council resolution ending the Kosovo war. 'What mattered was that there was a concrete question that could be addressed and answered,' he said. 'When the G-8 has tried to serve as the high-minded voice of the civilized world -- on development goals or now perhaps climate change -- it''s been less effective.'